How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Monday, November 08, 2004

Exam time again

The mid-term exams for the second term began yesterday. As I had noted in an earlier post, my preparation was not really up to the mark. This became starkly evident in the first paper (QAM) which I messed up very badly. It was the worst paper I have written so far and reflected on the fact that some of my concepts were still not clear.
That prompted me to make up, however, and today was a big day with two exams - Financial Mgmt. and Marketing - on which there was scope to make amends. And I did make amends. I am very happy with the way I could confidently write those two papers. I hope to continue this in the next four exams. Cost accounting, in particular, will be a challenge. There's no strategy other than to study for it.

2 Comments:

Blogger ASHOK VAISHNAV said...

It is very good to know that you accept, so called failures, with equanimity nad do gear up for the next event, mostly with a revised strategy.
Deming, the famed quality Guru, calls this as PDCA cycle.
P is for Planning- where you define your goals,identify resources required,chak out strategy, indentify KPI,its measures etc.
D is for implementation as planned.
C is for checking actual vs. planned.
A is for Analysis of diference between planned and actual and going back to revised Plan.
In fact, everything which needs to be MANAGED, would fall into this paradigm, whether done consciously or subconsciously. Sucess would depend on quality of P & A.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Samrat said...

Infact we were taught about the PDCA cycle just after our exam, as well as DMAIC(Define,Measure,Analyse,Improve and Control) process as in 6-Sigma.
Never knew we could apply them to our own selves. need some lateral thinking.
we are a product of a straight-jacket system.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home