How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Saturday, January 22, 2005

'The da Vinci Code'

I read this bestselling book of 2004 a few days back. It is written by Dan Brown (Doubleday, 2004). When I came to IIML, I had resolved not to read fiction for the time that I am here. But I simply had to make an exception for this book. It is an astonishing thriller. Brown has used some fundamental facts which are little-known to construct the plot of the book. And he has done it masterfully. It's a must-read.
I am very interested in history, but not really political history - basically the history of wars. I am interested in the history of religion, of science & technology, of culture, of philosophy, of arts, music & architecture, of mythology, and so on. Hence this book interested me from the outset.

The book is basically about the history of Christianity. Some fundamental things that are generally accepted as facts about the Christian religion are untrue. The greatest of these truths has been protected by an ultra-secret society called the Priory of Sion, starting from around the 11th cent. A.D. (I won't write what that truth is, otherwise it will kill the interest of the reader. I also won't write anything about the plot or characters.) Some great people have been Grand Masters of this society, including Sandro Botticelli, Isaac Newton, Victor Hugo, and Leonardo da Vinci.
Of all these, da Vinci was doubtless the most mischievous and he cocked a snook at the Catholic Church by including several subtle and not-so-subtle hidden clues in his most famous paintings. In fact, such concealment in art and classical music has been the only way this truth has been propagated to this day. The book is about unraveling these and other clues cleverly constructed by the present Grand Master of the Priory to finally reach that great truth. Can the protagonists reach there? Can they do what no one else in history has been able to do? Read the book for answers to these questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home