How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Admiration

In general, I like my class here a lot. There is quite a bit of camaraderie and good-natured fun here. The class also has four individuals whom I admire for different reasons. These people possess some or the other quality (or qualities) which I either completely lack or possess to a significantly lesser degree.
I admire one of the persons for his sense of responsibility, sheer persistence and hard work, and sensibility. His class participation is very sensible and in general, there is an air of dependability about him.
I like another person for his vast knowledge, forthrightness and ability to deal with people and get work done. He has certain quirks to his personality but that only makes him more enjoyable to talk to and be with.
I respect the third person for his knowledge of business, his excellent choice of reading, his questioning attitude and drive. His questions, whether in class or in a group meeting, are, by far, the most sensible and relevant ones.
I am a fan of the fourth person for his past & current accomplishments, his depth of knowledge in areas of his interest, his great humility and level-headedness. He is the achiever of the class, and you don't need to wonder why if you've worked with him on something.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm.....it's almost like you talking about yourself there!!! Pray, enlighten me, great one.....which one of the qualities mentioned do you not possess????

1:50 AM  
Blogger CycloNurb said...

I second, you possess all these qualities to significantly high degrees. But even if I take your word for it, one quality that I know that you possess is your awareness of all the qualities that you need to sharpen, and you will do it. And you should not discount the fact that since you are one of them you possess some qualities that others will learn from.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Tadatmya Vaishnav said...

I see the need to clarify. Here are the qualities I possess in small measure:
1. Dependability - I do have the tendency to procrastinate, mostly to my own disadvantage, unlike Mr. Cyclonurb :)

2. Forthrightness and 'people skills' - both lacking considerably

3. Questioning attitude - I do tend to 'switch off' after a while on many subjects so that the 'scientific temper' disappears.

4. Depth of knowledge - although the breadth of my interests is quite large, the same cannot be said about the depth. In almost all of my interest areas, I reach my limit of understanding pretty soon.

Arnav, you are right in your observation that I can spot my weak areas. But so far, I have lacked the will to really work on them. Let's hope this post marks the beginning of the 'Reformation' :)

11:06 AM  
Blogger CycloNurb said...

I disagree when you say, "...reach my limit of understanding...". It is not that you are not capable of understanding a topic in depth, it just doesn't appeal to you once you know enough about it. Almost like this 'other area' that you don't know anything about pulls you to it.

I have to think about this breadth of knowledge v/s depth quite often. I have a tendency too to go off exploring all kinds of things. My advisor wants me to keep reminding myself that as a resarcher I should focus first on understanding my topic. Infact as a student I should be doing it completely without worrying about all the exciting things that are going on in other areas. That's a tough thing to do.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a great quote by Poirot, "I didn't know that, and now that you have told me, I will do my best to forget it as soon as possible, so as not to clutter my brain with unnecessary information". Why would one want in-depth knowledge in an area that one does not find interesting or of use to him or her self, however interesting or relevant it may be for someone else?

So, I don't think it's necessarily a fault to switch off. It's just evidence you do not feel the need to know more. As has been evidenced fairly frequently, you do have a tremendous depth of knowledge as well, in topics that interest you....so perhaps it's time for you to stop being self-depracating ;-)

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home