How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Monday, April 18, 2005

Not all bad...

As I mentioned in my last post, not everything about Chennai is bad. So let me list some
positives (these may not carry equal weight for everyone):

- The food is a plus point, particularly if you like typical south Indian fare. The idli-s, dosa-s (of various types, and each served with three different kinds of chutney), vada-s, sambar, coffee, etc. are quite good. North Indian food won't be great except in higher-end restaurants.

- Though this is a point particular to my situation, I like the location of my hostel in
Royapettah quite a lot. The Marina beach is just 10-15 minutes away by bus. There is a good multiplex theatre called Sathyam and the well-visited mall Spencer's Plaza on Mount Road - both at a walking distance from the hostel. I catch my company bus just across the road from the hostel, and if I happen to miss it, I can always catch a city bus from the same place. There are a lot of shops, ATMs and places to eat nearby.

- The traffic is not nearly as bad as, say, Bangalore, and it is relatively quite orderly too. A few roads on my route to the company are under repair, causing some pain, but in general, the roads are also in good condition.

- The public transport system is efficient. The city buses are jampacked during rush hours, but they are reliable. The bus numbers and the source and destination are indicated in English, contrary to my expectations. The suburban railway is not very extensive, but quite useful to some.

- Terribly hot as the days are, the evenings (so far, at least) are pleasant, as cool breeze blows through the evening and night.

5 Comments:

Blogger Samrat said...

hey Ted,
our posts on the respective cities have basically mentioned the same points
-weather
-traffic
-language
-autos
-buses
In most blore beats chennai hands down :).
Blore also is a Foodies delight.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Tadatmya Vaishnav said...

Ok boss, I admit u're in a better place...happy? :)

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Praveena. said...

Ted, You should try to go to Mahabalipuram over a weekend. There are some nice places to eat on the way and Taj's Fisherman Cove is delightful. On the way there is an amazing place called 'Dakshin Chitra' which tries to recreate ethnic south Indian homes. I am sure you will like it. Take a camera. Also, if you at all fancy classical music or dance, Chennai is the place to be. Check out any performances in the newspapers. And even if you're not a fan, u might enjoy the experience. There are some awesome old libraries in the city that you can check out. Ok..cant resist adding, the older buildings along Marina beach (government primarliy and some collges) were built by my great grandfather! He was the Chief Architect of Chennai under the British. Alright, hope you have some fun.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems everyones happy!!!!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Samrat said...

"Chief architect" . wow!! somehow reminded me of Bill Gates.
so Praveena's (father)^3 was quite an important dude.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home