How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Booked

Although I just claimed that I am not feeling up to it, I will now manifest symptoms of being infected with the book meme virus (having been twice bitten), although I will not propagate it further. This is not a bad exercise in introspection, so here goes...

Number of books at home: My very rough guess would be 800 +- 200, i.e. anywhere from 600-1000. I have not counted a few hundred comics and magazines in this. A lot of these books were bought by my father or grandfather.

Last book I bought: Though I don't remember exactly, I think it is Dostoyevsky's 'Crime and Punishment'

Last book I read: Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'

Five books that mean a lot to me:
It is incredibly difficult for me to pick so few. Indeed as many sportsmen say, 'the best is yet to come'. But here's a selection:

'Surely you're Joking, Mr. Feynman!' - a very light, enjoyable look into the life of one of the greatest personalities who ever lived - Richard Feynman.

'The Story of Philosophy' by Will Durant - which gives a superbly coherent synopsis of the history of Western philosophy, from Socrates and Plato to John Dewey. This is an absolute must-read for anyone remotely interested in philosophy.

The Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle - detectives have come and detectives have gone, but none has quite matched Holmes - his personality, varied abilities, quirks and the people surrounding him, are all legendary. Conan Doyle's writing skills and plot variety are superb.

The Correspondence of Sardar Patel, 1945-1950 - around a dozen hefty volumes of correspondence of one of India's greatest leaders, bought by my grandfather. It not only gives one an inside look at the great man's character and style of working, but also the issues of that historic time for India. Obviously, some of the biggest names of the time figure prominently in these volumes.

The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda - although I have only started reading these, I am very sure that a patient reading will be greatly inspiring and uplifting. The power that flows from the confident words of this great man is incredible, and I can only wonder how his presence must have been.

2 Comments:

Blogger ASHOK VAISHNAV said...

On my personal note, I would add,and recommend for reading to all:
"Atlas Shrugged" - Ayan Rand;
"1964"- (?);
"Animal Farm" - George Orwell.
-- All three are based on
neccessity and essence
of 'individual creativity'.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dilbert Principle

Feynman's Rainbow -- This one is a biased choice since it appeals more to PhD students

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home