How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

'The Code of the Woosters'

Believe me or not, this is the first P. G. Wodehouse book (Rupa, 1992) I read while travelling to and from home to the institute recently. How this author, so popular among Indian readers, as I have been able to note, came not to be read by so voracious - if that is the word - a reader as I so far is rather inexplicable. I knew this bird wrote well, but somehow I always came to prefer reading something else. Finally, this time, I thought it might make a good travelling companion, and "Right ho!", I said, and borrowed the book.

Bertie Wooster, as usual I suppose, gets himself embroiled in a growing web of difficult situash-es, implicitly following the code of the Woosters ('never let a pal down'). He has to rely on some of his own skills of oration and a lot of Jeeves' quick thinking to wriggle out of one difficulty, only to find himself immediately landed in another. Overall, quite humorous, this PGW.

(In the above, I was just trying my hand at imitating Wodehouse's writing style :). As stated in the foreword, though I found the reading humorous, I initially thought its appeal would be limited. That is, after a few novels, the reader would feel bored by the same nonsensical situations and the same turns of phrase. But every time I left the book, I had an urge to go back to it and have a good laugh. And having immediately borrowed another Wodehouse book now, I think I am beginning to understand why people enjoy his humour so much, even though the situations and the settings are typically British.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Darth Midnightmare said...

Tut-tut. So you had not come across Wodehouse thus far? That, I must admit, has caused me no little consternation to know, if that is indeed the word I am looking for. The mind boggles and the eyes begin to pop out of their sockets, much as they are wont to do after one of Jeeves' pick-me-ups, you know, you know, don't you know, you know?

Well, The Code of the Woosters is definitely one of the finest pieces that the eyes could behold, something that I am quite sure one could not say about the blighted cow-creamer that the scourge of Totleigh Towers - Pop Bassett - had come to possess, courtesy his treacherous manner of dealing with poor Uncle Tom of the Travers fame - the one that had in his emplyment the inimitable Anatole thanks to his wife, Bertie's aunt Dahlia's (not to be confused of course with Agatha, the one that chewed glass bottles and turned into a werewolf on full-moon nights) equally treacherous dealing with the little Mrs. Bingo Little.

Anyhow, be that as it may, one bids you goodbye. Tally-ho then old chap, much in the manner as Aunt Dahlia would have cried in her days with the Quorn and Pytchley. Tut-tut and pip-pip then...and yes, he does have a wonderful and flowing style...didn't you just love the part with the newts in the bathtub preceding the little blackmail regarding Eulalie?

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home