How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What's in an MBA - II

Continuing with the positives:

People

I am not a naturally gregarious person and so I do not know many people of my batch, and of my senior and junior batches, closely. However, irrespective of how many people I personally knew, I have learnt things, directly or indirectly, from a lot of people. This might seem like a 'global', and ultimately meaningless, statement. But it isn't. It's certainly not the first time I have been with people from all regions of India, but in terms of attitudes, behaviour and goals, the people I have met here form a much more varied bunch than that I met with during my engineering days.

I wouldn't count more than a dozen people here as my closest friends, but these people have been absolutely wonderful to be with. A very capable bunch of people who are also great fun to be with, and the shared experiences with them are memorable. Besides these close friends, the class I was in in the first year (Section D) has been a fairly close-knit group, with most people being comfortable being with each other. Overall, I have liked the variety of people I met here, and have liked observing their capabilities, idiosyncrasies, and attitudes.

Facilities & resources

I found the facilities and resources (the computer centre and network, the library, sports facilities, some essential services like banks & provision stores, the course material) to be very good overall. Of course, each one of the above has its own set of shortcomings, and have led to much heartburn at various times. But the services they have provided offset the difficulties, at least in my case. In fact, I have not made as great a use of the library as I would have liked to.

Quizzes, talks, etc.

I must make special mention of the great time I have had in quizzes here. I was fortunate that Samrat chose me for his quizzing partner, since that gave me the enjoyment of winning a lot of quizzes :). I was also fortunate that we had at least a dozen people in my batch who were very interested in quizzing, which made all quizzes very lively.

Many of the speakers from various industries that came to deliver talks during these 1.5 years gave me a lot to think about. I have written about each of the talks I have attended on this blog.

The 'etc.' part includes the fun, the treats and parties, tremendous additions to my movie, music, and reading material collection, the experience of the city of Lucknow, the walks around campus, and many other memories. Of course, this is not part of the MBA course, but I am considering my entire experience here, so these should be included.