How's my Luck now?

Reflections, views and descriptions during my stay at IIM Lucknow from July 2004 to March 2006

Name:
Location: India

Friday, February 10, 2006

What's in an MBA? - V

Run-ins with administration

Our batch had a few run-ins with the administration here on various matters, giving the batch an unwarranted bad impression and leaving a bad taste in most people's mouths, on both sides. I am mentioning this here because this kind of thing seemed to happen unusually often with us.

Faculty & teaching

Having recounted some of the problems from the students' side, I have to note the problems we have had with some of the faculty and their teaching styles. Some of the faculty, including that in Operations, Finance, and Decision Sciences, have been really great to study under and I will remember these professors for a long time. However, it's a pity that the same can't be said of quite a few others. Either their
functional knowledge was not quite up to the mark, or their teaching style was too drab (with no attempt to make a subject interesting), or they couldn't handle case discussions very well, or they made really good subject outlines & topic lists but didn't cover them well, or their marking & grading schemes were inscrutable, etc., etc. Admitting that teaching is not an easy job, and the fact that at a time when the
economy is booming, it is difficult to retain good faculty, we are still in a less than desirable position.

Here I end this brief exposition on my MBA experience. These were opinions only, (although reasoned ones, I hope), and so I don't expect everyone, especially all of my batchmates to agree with me totally.